The NRA recommends the following list of safety rules and precautions* for gunowners.
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use
NRA Gun Safety Rules
- Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
- Know how to safely use the gun.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
- Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
- Store guns so that they are not accessible to unauthorized persons (especially children).
* Reference "The Basics of Personal Protection" - an educational training publication of the National Rifle Association. Reprinted by permission of the National Rifle Association of America.
Project ChildSafe is a national program supported by the firearms and ammunition industry that educates and reminds firearm owners to securely store firearms when not in use to help deter access by children, at-risk persons, and individuals legally prohibited from possessing firearms. Proper storage of firearms is the number one way to help prevent accidents, theft and misuse.
Gun owners are encouraged to use a safe storage device that meets their personal and home circumstances. Options for storing firearms as well as tips for safely handling guns can be found at projectchildsafe.org.