The NRA recommends the following list of safety rules and precautions* for gunowners.
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use
NRA Gun Safety Rules
- Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
- Know how to safely use the gun.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
- Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
- Store guns so that they are not accessible to unauthorized persons (especially children).
* Reference "The Basics of Personal Protection" - an educational training publication of the National Rifle Association. Reprinted by permission of the National Rifle Association of America.